Friday 25 May 2007

"You are the music while the music lasts."

After reading Coleen's music post I thought I'd do my own.
Basically I'm just a thieving gypsy.

Five Songs That Describe Moments in My Life:
1. Manic Street Preachers - A Design For Life
Before I left Scotland my friends and I had tickets to see the Manics. Of course because of my luck I had to leave the country before the concert. So this song marks the end of my life in Scotland and basically the end of my youth.

2. Fame - I Sing The Body Electric
It was while I was watching Fame (shut up) that I realised I would never be a dancer. I knew ballet was out of my reach but deep down I thought there was still a chance for me in another type of dance. Alas not; I love this song nonetheless.

3. Tupac – California Love
Oddly enough this song signifies my time in Texas. It was there that my exposure to music exploded. Not that I was close minded about it before but the experiences I had in uni opened my eyes to so many things, good and bad. I've taken that love of music and carried it with me round the world.

4. T Rex - Children of the Revolution
"You won't fool the children of the revolution" was spray painted on a derelict building in North West London and every time I passed it on the bus it made me appreciate my own personal revolution and how far I'd come from the girl who missed out on "A Design For Life".

5. Dobie Gray – Drift Away
My brother got me into this song. He and I had been very close most of our lives and now this is a bittersweet reminder that things change.

Five Songs That I'm Not Afraid to Sing Along With:
1. Europe - Final Countdown
Self explanatory really.

2. The Streets - Fit But you Know It
Ollie made me love singing to this song, whenever it's on I picture him dancing in his combat flares.

3. Nickelback - How You Remind Me
This is a sitting on the balcony with Sim song, with a cigarette and a bucket of pink wine, and annoying the neighbours by belting this out at the top of our lungs.

4. Snow Patrol – Chasing Cars
Also known as the Smoker's Song - to me anyway. The lyrics of this one get me time and time again.

5. Queen – Hammer to Fall
Queen is my favourite band ever and this one has such a wonderful rocking out quality to it that I frequently jump about whilst "singing" it.

Five Songs That Get My Groove Going:
1. Faithless – Insomnia
The ultimate dance song. No really. I saw them at V music festival one year and to have 2500 people dancing along with you was amazing.

2. Linkin Park - Somewhere I Belong/Crawling
Yes, I know there are two songs here but they fulfill my "Angry White Girl" dancing quotient.

3. Fatboy Slim - Right here right now
My first love on the dance floor. I became a club kid because of this song.

4. Baywatch Theme
This is a totally ridiculous song that the girls and I have embarrassed ourselves to over and over again. And you know what? I don't care, it's awesome.

5. Little Less Conversation - Elvis Presley (Basement Jaxx mix)
The original is a good song the remix is a booty shaker extraordinaire. I defy anyone not to dance when this is on.

Five Songs That I Just Love :
1. Levellers – Another Man’s Cause
My first concert and the first time someone vocalised my political feelings about war.

2. Powderfinger - My Happiness
Fundamentally this is a sad one but I love how hopeful it makes me feel.

3. Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
This song just makes me feel every time I hear it. I don't have the words to explain why. Maybe that's the point of great music.

4. Cyndi Lauper – Time After Time
If I ever find someone to love, I want to love them like this.

5. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama
It's a classic, what's not to love?

Part II to come later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always feel silly when I reveal my deep love of Queen. ABBA the vogue vintage camp band right now, but when that ebbs, fat bottomed girls 4-ever. Which is why I'm addicted to Mika.